Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Proposal

If you ask him, he'll just tell you to ask me, so here goes...
Once upon a time Matt was planning a proposal. I knew it was coming, but still loved that he was trying to keep it a surprise. On April 22, 2011, we set a date to go out to eat at Tucanos (delicious Brazilian food!). After greedily filling our stomachs, we thought it wise to go to Walmart to get some gum to freshen up meaty mouths. (trust me, this was a good idea) While there, Matt sneakily texted some people while in the restroom so I wouldn't know what was going on. We walked out to the car where I was then blindfolded, rather unsuccessfully. Trusting me, he allowed me to just close my eyes. He drove me to our destination and had me hold his arm as he guided me with shuttered eyes. It turns out I'm quite clumsy without my sight. Eventually we stopped near running water and he had me step onto a step and turn around. Nervously (and he hates that I tell this part), he said, "Ok, sit down... no wait, stand up!) At this point he then told me to open my eyes. I was standing at the edge of a fountain at the temple. He had arranged for lilies and roses to be placed along the fountain edge with little tags tied to them with the printed words, "Will you marry me?" I didn't see any of this until later though, because in front of me was the love of my life, shakily on one knee speaking the words, "Will you marry me?" I said yes, obviously. Then his mom and sisters (and one brother in law) walked from where they had been standing to welcome me to the family. I was shaking and laughing and sooo excited. Then I saw my parents walk around the  corner of the temple. My mom approached me first with watery red-rimmed eyes and rosy cheeks, telling me that my father had been crying. I gave her a hug and turned to my father. He's always been a softy. He used to almost cry just looking at my baby pictures and talking about how much and how quickly I'd grown. I hugged him a couple of times. (The texting in Walmart was to let them all know that we were on our way) Then it was time for pictures.....that was fun. (There might be a slightly awkward one of me pushing Matt's behind out of my face with a look of disgust.... maybe.) So there you have it: I'm engaged.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so you did not tell me that he had the parents there! I would have been nervous with people watching too! Cute Cute! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete